VHE successfully carried out the construction of a new cell on the existing Landfill Site at Bryn Pica located 1,200 feet above sea level overlooking Aberdare in the Welsh Valleys.
The work comprised:
- Diverting an existing watercourse around the perimeter of the new cell
- Cut/fill to formation in colliery shale material in the base of the former open-cast coal mine
- Excavation and screening of colliery shale from a borrow pit to provide suitable material to form the base of the new cell.
- Installation of a three layer liner system comprising:
- HCL bentonite liner
- HDPE waterproof liner with welded seams
- 25mm thick protection rug with welded joints
- Placing of a 600mm thick drainage layer to the new cell base in imported stone
- Tying in the new construction into the existing adjacent cells
- Constructing retaining bunds in colliery shale round the perimeter of the new cell
Despite adverse weather conditions, the work was completed in the 10-week contract period.