This project involved the construction of a new 20,000m2 cell in the existing quarry and landfill at Peckfield on the outskirts of Leeds.
The works included:
- Excavation of a 300m long, 3m deep groundwater drainage trench through solid rock formation
- Cell construction comprising of two drainage and two sealing layers, and 4m high perimeter bunds to four sides
- Installation of leachate detection sump and associated ductile iron pipework.
- Installation of 2.5mm HDPE impermeable HDPE liner with welded seams, also tied in to the carefully exposed existing cell liner.
- Placing of 300mm thick quarry fines protection layer to the HDPE liner on the cell floor, and 1m thick clay protection layer on the cell bunds.
- Import of 350,000 car tyres, individually placed in a 3 layer chevron pattern to form a drainage layer.
VHE’s works involved the removal of materials from, and transportation through, both the existing landfill and quarry.