Paisley time-lapse video
22 March 2021
VHE have undertaken the gasholder dismantling and associated works at Paisley for SGN.
The 23-metre high gas holder Gasholder No.4 at Paisley is the oldest surviving column guided gasholder in Scotland and has not been in use since 2011. It was built in 1890 by Hanna Donald and Wilson Ltd (guide frame) and James Goldie and Son (tank) for the Paisley Gas Light Company.
The project included dewatering and sludge removal, demolition of the holder crowns, lifts and outbuildings followed by infilling of the holder to ground level.
The gas holder is a local landmark and has striking architectural features. As a result, great care was taken during the works so not to damage the holder columns and associated structure as they are listed so remain in place to grace the Paisley skyline.